In the last few pages of the book, Gándara and Contreras outline a policy agenda to address the need.
- Better health care and access to social services
- Subsidized preschool programs
- Housing desegregation and stabilization initiatives
- Target recruitment and better preparation for teachers
- Immigration policy reform
- Support for dual-language education
- Dropout prevention and college-access programs that support the connection between school and home
The buzz on this book is palpable, and I expect it to be discussed and widely reviewed. I have tapped one of my colleagues to review it for Education and Culture.